Academic English as a Second/Foreign Language (EFL) Placement Test
If you are an international student studying at Central Piedmont with an F-1 visa, you may need to take Academic ESL, or English as a Foreign Language (EFL). You will earn college credit and have to pay tuition for Academic ESL/EFL courses. To determine which level English you can take when you start at Central Piedmont, you need to take the Academic ESL (EFL) Placement Test. Learn more about course placement.
If you are not studying at Central Piedmont with an F-1 visa, you may be able to take English as a Second Language (ESL) through College and Career Readiness.
Learn more about how to decide which option to learn English at Central Piedmont is right for you.
The ESL Placement Test is separated into two sections: ACCUPLACER ESL and Grammar.
ACCUPLACER ESL (EFL) Section
The ACCUPLACER section consists of three portions: a short essay (composition), listening, and reading.
- You have two hours (timed) to complete the short essay (composition) portion, but you may not need the entire two hours.
- The listening and reading portions are multiple choice and are not timed.
- The grammar section is given separately; you can take the grammar section the same day you take the ACCUPLACER ESL (EFL) test.
- You have one hour to complete the grammar section.
Schedule Your Academic ESL (EFL) Placement Test
You can take the Academic ESL Placement Test with a remote proctor via Webex. You will need a reliable computer with internet access, a webcam, and a microphone.
Request an Academic ESL (EFL) Placement Test proctor
When You Will Get Your Placement Test Scores
- ACCUPLACER short essay (composition) score: up to 48 hours
- ACCUPLACER listening and reading scores: immediately
- Grammar score: up to 48 hours
View Your Test Scores
- Log in to MyCollege with your Central Piedmont login.
- Go to the "Test Scores" section.
If you have any questions, please contact the Testing Center.
You can retake the ACCUPLACER portion of the Academic ESL (EFL) Placement test once a year.
You need to get permission from an academic advisor to retake the grammar section.